2nd BCT Media Links

This blog centralized media links for the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division during its deployment from Korea to Iraq as part of OIF 2.5, Aug 2004 - July 2005. It was updated daily over the year, with only sporadic updates since. It is left on-line for historical interest (although many links are likely now broken) and as a tribute to the 2nd BCT servicemen who lost their lives serving in Iraq. May they rest in peace and may their legacy be forever remembered.

Monday, August 15, 2005

One civilian's tribute to the 2nd BCT

I started this blog in Sept 2004 to share news about my brother's unit in Iraq with my extended family. When Clint (aka MAJ Howard C. Kirk IV) called me from Korea in May 2004 with the news that he'd miss being the Best Man at my wedding due to the deployment, I had no clue what division he was in, let alone battalion. All I knew was that he was a 2nd-generation West Point graduate, Ranger, Airborne & Air Assault qualified, a battalion S-3 (whatever that was) somewhere in Korea, and that he missed his wife and young son dearly. It was then that I did my first Google search on his battalion, the 1-503rd Infantry. My guess is that hundreds - who knows, maybe thousands - of family members of 2nd BCT soldiers did the same thing in those early months. Korea may have been a genuine threat, but Iraq was the real deal. When starting the blog, I followed a hunch and generalized the scope and presentation with the hopes that it might be useful for other families beyond my own. It has since become my small, meager way of saying thanks to the troops.

My first glimpse into 2nd BCT life came from the old (now off-line) beerforsoldiers.com site and initial Stars & Stripes articles. I read about soldiers who were serious and motivated, but who still smiled for the cameras and told jokes. I also sensed the undercurrent of anxiety and frustration, especially with the Stop-Loss orders and sad resignation of being away from families for yet another year. It seems we all felt that these were thousands of soldiers who collectively got screwed by a cold, calculated decision from the bowels of the Pentagon. Clearly, though, necessity won over and the restructured BCT rose to the challenge. My amazement started early as I read about artillerymen becoming infantrymen, infantrymen becoming policemen and detectives, engineers becoming prison guards, and on and on – a batch of rural fighters from the mountains becoming urban fighters in the desert, all in a matter of weeks. The transformation was nothing less than astounding.

From my comfortable confines in America, the living and working conditions in western Iraq appeared beyond surreal. Iraq had been taken over border-to-border two years earlier, yet many of these soldiers still had to pull regular duty burning their own feces? The most mobile fighting force ever assembled, and still only one hot meal a day in many instances, and weeks and weeks without a shower? On top of that, the insurgents appeared to hit their stride as the 2nd BCT was assuming command. They had long been there, of course, but who predicted the extent of offensive and defensive operations the 2nd BCT would end up conducting? One battalion later reported having up to 10 firefights per day in Oct and Nov, 2004. 10 per day! Even more, there was no traditional front line of combat, which meant the only true days off most of these soldiers would see over the 12 months were the two-week R&R leave periods. Combine such hardships with the ubiquitous presence of DVDs and video games, Instant Messaging and Internet shopping, and a care package junk food diet, and it’s clear that such a living environment has never been seen before in the history of the world.

I have only ever known one 2nd BCT Soldier - my older brother - and Clint made it through the tour unscathed. For his safe return, particularly given the randomness of insurgent attacks, our family feels extremely lucky. I never met any of the servicemen who died, but I have read all of their stories with a sad heart. By my count (based on media reports), 68 2nd ID Soldiers and a combined total of 100 Soldiers, Marines, and National Guard soldiers lost their lives while under 2nd BCT command or directly supporting 2nd BCT units in Iraq, all of them sons, many of them brothers and fathers and husbands. These Soldiers and Marines called 30 different states home, and 8 were born in foreign countries. At least 46 children of these men will be raised without their fathers now. Their families and friends have only memories now, and hopefully a heartfelt, if bittersweet, pride in the deep honor of their son’s service. There are few words we can offer, but we can lift them up with our thoughts, prayers, and support. The published estimate of the number of 2nd BCT Soldiers who received or are nominated for Purple Hearts is well over 500. I don’t know how many of those servicemen and women are still receiving treatment, but I can safely guess that those wounds will be carried for a lifetime.

The 2nd BCT is comprised of about 4000 Soldiers (plus or minus depending on the source) who joined the Army for at least 4000 different complex mix of reasons. Maybe it was for cultural heritage, for cash or college funds, for seeking discipline, for serving our country in a pre- or post-9/11 world, or maybe it was for lack of an alternative. I can’t even guess at the spectrum of opinions you Soldiers must have on the war, the U.S. Military, the geo-politics of the region, or on the local culture, but I’m sure the range is as broad as your deployment was long. I read every article, letter to the editor and posting on public discussion forums that I could find, and I was able to track down and religiously follow several servicemember mil-blogs and family support sites. The large picture painted by these many individual anecdotes showed that while the opinions and emotions may have been wide reaching, the exhausting yet unrelenting effort never lacked.

It's easy to wax poetic from the bleacher seats where I sit, but I in no way want to glamorize what you Soldiers have been through. We civilians can only imagine how bad it really was many days, and to you it was probably worse at times than our wildest imaginations would dream up. I do hope that you can appreciate that you have contributed with your sweat and blood to historical events, from the role in the assault on Fallujah to safeguarding the first free elections in Iraq in 50 years. Operation Iraqi Freedom looks to be joining the list of forever-debated wars, but that is immaterial here (this blog always strove to be apolitical). You Soldiers and Marines as individuals signed the dotted line to serve our country, and for that alone you have my respect. For what you have given this past year, for the persistence and dedication you have shown in light of the extraordinary burden placed upon you, you now have my eternal admiration. For the sacrifices you have made, you have inspired me to work harder and be a better citizen. You have clearly and undoubtedly left your mark on Iraq, but I hope you realize that you have also left your mark on those of us paying attention.

I wish you all the very best in your future lives and careers, that you may find peace with your experiences in Iraq, and that the legacy and inspiration of your fallen comrades live forever on.

Again, thanks for your service to our country,
Ryan Kirk
Minneapolis, MN

9 Comments:

  • At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks (again) Ryan. You wrote what most of us feel, but do not have the talent to articulate. Am printing your piece to put in my son's scrapbook.

    Sincerely,

    Judy Macy

     
  • At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for all your hard work in updating us on a daily basis. I read your blog first thing each morning. My youngest son is a Fire Team Leader with 1-503rd and is safetly back in the USA. God Bless each member of the 2nd BCT as they pursue military careers, school or whatever the world brings.
    Most of all THANK YOU to the family members whose sons sacrificed their lives.
    The 1SG - US Army (Retired)

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ryan, I discovered your blog early on in our son's deployyment. He too was in Korea thinking he would not have to go to Iraq since the Korean troops were considered "deployed". We were very surprised when we learned of the move to Iraq and even more concerned when we learned they would be in Ramadi during Ramedan no less. My son was with the 2/17 FA and his battery (Alpha) was one of the first to hit the ground in Ramadi in early September. His first 6 months were hell and he lost a lot of friends. The 2/17 suffered 13 casualities not counitng the one sucide once retuned. Our son's squad was the only one in the Battery that was untouched although many suffered ear drum damage.
    Your blog was a tremendous help to many families that needed information from "the front" and I for one am very thankfull for your time and efforts. Thank you.
    Mike Smith
    Thank you

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you Ryan for keeping all of us updated on the Brigade in Iraq. Your site became the first of many I looked at daily to keep abreast of the goings on with the Brigade.

    Our family support group decided early on we would not post news articles out of respect for other family members and yours filled my NEED to know all I could know regarding the deployment.

    I would like to say thank you to all of our soldiers and the families of our fallen, 3 of which are directly linked to our 2nd BCT family group on msn. Your soldiers will never be forgotten.

    Thank you again Ryan for all of your hard work, I for one realise how time consuming this project was and with your dedication we all have a much broader knowledge of this historical deployment.

    As I waited for my son to come home in Colorado and went to the 1st 13 homcomings I could not help but bust with pride at what our sons and daughters had accomplished in the last year. There was a feeling within me that somehow I was connected to each and everyone of them. Even after my son returned and I went back to flight 15's homecoming I was still overwhelmed with the pride I had in my heart.

    To the soldiers again, Thank You...to the families of our fallen, Thank You - your loved one will not be forgotten and he did make a difference.
    Lyn Taylor

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ryan

    I too, would like to thank you again for the time and effort you put in this past year helping us "see" what our guys were about. What a great summary you have written for us all to remember.
    To the men that are home now I say welcome and good work. To the families of the wounded and killed I cannot immagine the pain and loss you have had and are going through still.My thoughts are with often. For what it is worth, I, like Ryan, think history will say that this war was far more important than we will know for many years to come. These men did not suffer and die for nothing. Do not listen to anyone that says anything different. History will show the truth that they did make a difference in the world.

    Sincerely,

    Bob Kirkpatrick
    A proud father

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would like to thank you on behalf of our family. I visited your site everyday, without fail, throughout the entire deployment. My son is a mechanic with the 44th, he volunteered to go to Iraq from Korea where he was with the 82nd. I write this from the hotel room in Colorado Springs. He was on the 17th and final flight. The homecoming was the most emotional day of my life. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to our troops. You made it so much easier to keep abreast of the news. May God Bless your family as you have blessed ours.

    Sincerely,

    Jane and John St.John
    Proud Parents of PFC Alex St.John
    and Young Marine Nick St.John

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Ryan Kirk said…

    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and those of your soldiers. I wish I could learn all the many and varied remarkable stories of these soldiers. I hope we can keep these returning men and women in good spirits now that they're home.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ryan,
    Thank you so much for your consistent posting of news that was vital for us to understand what our son was facing on a daily basis in Al Anbar. Our son served with 1-503rd and is now home.

    We grieve for those families whose loved ones were killed or injured in the struggle for Ramadi.

    Michael Taylor and Linda Marshall
    Portland, Oregon

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ryan-

    I'm not sure if you're still checking this blog, but figured I'd give it a shot. My name's Brent Hopkins and I'm a reporter with the Los Angeles Daily News. I have the sad task of writing an obituary for Sgt. Giann Carlo Joya-Mendoza, who was with the 2nd BCT and died in Iraq last week. I've been trying to track down people who knew him and was wondering if you knew of any unit support groups. If you could give me a call at 818-713-3738 or email me at brent.hopkins@dailynews.com, I'd really appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

    -Brent

     

Post a Comment

<< Home